Welcome to Turner Land. Enjoy your stay.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Logic Problem?

There is a phenomenon at Htown High that I must share: Stairway 5.

First...some background info to set the stage...
Stairway 5 is just outside of my classroom door. For the past 2 years, it has been an "up-only" stairway. FYI: "up only" means that students are only allowed to walk up these stairs, not down. There is so much traffic that the creation of the one-way stairwells is the primary form of crowd control for our Hurricanes. AND because Stairway 5 is just outside of my classroom door AND I am the ONLY teacher at that end of the hallway, I am blessed with the policing of the stairway and all of it's wonders. =)

Here's my dish.

Stair 5 is UP ONLY, and has been for 2 years. YET, nearly every period of every day I fight the battle of the upperclassmen who want to be THAT badass that goes DOWN stairway 5. WHY? Even more phenomenal are those kids who walk RIGHT UP TO ME and then sigh when I tell them/force them to walk back the other direction to go downstairs. Did I mention that there are several LARGE YELLOW SIGNS with "up" written on them and arrows that point "up" posted right by the doors, in the stairwell, etc. YET, every period of every day students try to go down the stairs.

Tell me, what is the appeal? Why fight the establishment? Why give me a hard time when it's not my rule? Why can't you just go away?!

Note to self: Amish parties are fun. Take backs are NOT cool. Kids that think brown-nosing is fun and cool are suckers. =)

2 Comments:

  • At 3:21 PM , Blogger MAMA said...

    There a book "Up the Down Staircase" and a movie too. Maybe it could give you an answer to your very perplexing question only in reverse?
    Or just maybe these kids want to be able to tell their friends that they bucked the system and got away with it.
    No matter what the reason it at least gives you the pleasure of messing with them on a daily basis.
    See there is a silver lining!

     
  • At 5:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Aww, turner ... at least you're not the only only teacher to monitor :). I tries to helps out!
    It's also amazing how many kids all you have to do is look at them ... once that eye contact is on - OVER!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
MySpace Tracker