Welcome to Turner Land. Enjoy your stay.

Monday, July 31, 2006

A Love/Hate Relationship.

I have learned patience over time from one activity and one activity only: shopping. School shopping is a fab time of year...for most people. Parents are eager to ship off their kids to teachers, kids are ready to shop for their new wardrobe, and there's an air of excitement in the stores...for MOST PEOPLE. I have never been one of these excited people. School shopping only reminds me that I am abnormally sized compared to what most shoppers are.

Let me splain.

Pants shopping. Apparently the 5'10"-no-curve look is very rare as most pants are too short and have fabric hanging off my boyish shape. And let's not forget that in order to find A pair of pants that fit, I have to try on an AVERAGE of 10. Ask my sister or my mom...they understand the agony of me and my nemisis: the fitting room.

Shirt shopping. In addition to the struggle to clothe my long legs, finding shirts that are not about to split their seems across my athletic shoulders YET ALSO do not give the impression that I am pregnant is a challenge of olympic proportion. Where are these skinny armed girls? Are there no athletes who have a day job?

AND THE ULTIMATE WOE: shoes. I love shoes as much as the next girl. But I have been blessed with big feet. You know what they say about girls with big feet? They wear flip flops because 90% of the shoes in the stores are sizes 7-8-9. Oye. I don't usually pick my shoes; they pick me. That is, I have to select styles because they actually have my size.

I've seen women like me...and we're wearing the same clothes and shoes. Is it possible that the fashion industry is stuck in a time warp? Do they not realize that women are bigger now? Maybe I just have to become famous so designers will make clothes that fit me.

Note to self: Start a support group for "unaverage" women. Rent a stadium for the meetings.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:10 AM , Blogger MAMA said...

    While it is true that you are not "Average" it is also true that you are superior to most! You have the stature of an athlete, the mind of a scholar the wit feed by intellegence all packaged with sincere beauty! The "average" envy your looks and talents even though they have a larger wardrobe!

     
  • At 7:25 PM , Blogger Rob Monroe said...

    As for you shoes, two words:
    Arundel Mills!

    There is a Clarks Outlet there that always has a wide selection of womens shoe sizes. There is a Bass Shoe Outlet right next door, too. My wife always finds shoes there that she likes.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
MySpace Tracker