Welcome to Turner Land. Enjoy your stay.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Old Spice? NO! Old Bay!

There is a culture here on the East Coast that is unmistakeable. Fast-paced life, seafood, and Old Bay. Anyone who has visited the East Coast has had a dish that was seasoned with the most versatile spice...and then has a hankering that permeates their own cuisine for the rest of time.

I remember my first taste of "The Bay." And then the desire for the spice made my dad make a separate container of "spiced ketchup." Then came the Old Bay eggs...and Old Bay chicken....Old Bay burgers. And so on and so on.

I bought young Vince a can of the Bay to take home to Chicago...and he apparently stores is on his tv tray for ease of access. Vinney had an Old Bay meal the other day were each dish was seasoned with The Bay....and is constantly telling me how much stuff he has eaten that he put the Old Bay on it. I'm sure his cereal is next.

Why is it so addicting? Why do we crave the Old Bay chips or Old Bay shrimp? But never crave Allspice Chicken or Ground Coriander Steak? What is in the Old Bay?

I've got one guess: crack.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:00 AM , Blogger Rob Monroe said...

    When we went to a family reunion last summer, we carried six of the big cans of the Old Bay with us! We introduced my In Laws to it, and they wanted to share the greatness.

    Apparently in Florida they have something called "Monkey Dust" and it's got the same crack-effect to it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
MySpace Tracker