Welcome to Turner Land. Enjoy your stay.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

S.A.D.

One has to love the amount of acronyms we have in our lexicon today. We are always looking for shorcuts, nicknames, and the like to make our language faster and easier. Need I reference our insane obsession with short names (J.Lo, Diddy) or how many different acronyms we could list in 10 seconds that we use in our daily lives...

But there is a newer one introduced to me via a contest from a local radio station. S.A.D...Singles Awareness Day. Let me 'splain.

S.A.D. is the more common celebration of February 14th...the one and only, most repulsive of all Hallmark Holidays, and the bain of many people's existence. I'm not and never have been a fan of 2/14...but do we need to call single people "sad?" Are single people sad as in boo-hoo or sad as in pathetic?

Being a singleton myself, I'm not sure "sad" is an appropriate term to describe my state of mind or being. I happen to think I've been better off than the handful of times I've messed with actually celebrating the date in the way in which Hallmark had intended.

Or is this a scam from Hallmark to make more sales by offering a line of "sad" cards? Hmmm...any ideas on creative messages for those pathetic singles out there?

Note to self: make plans with single pals for appropriate hate-fest of St. Valentine.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:56 AM , Blogger Rob Monroe said...

    I'm married and still don't like 2/14! We don't celebrate, and haven't in so many years that I can't remember when we did!

    I do agree that S.A.D. is not the best. Perhaps H.A.S.S.L.E.D.

    Happy And Single, Still Life Enjoying Daily.

    Not sure if Hassled is good or bad though!

     
  • At 8:04 AM , Blogger Rob Monroe said...

    Nice Ticker, by the way!

     
  • At 11:32 AM , Blogger MAMA said...

    S.A.D.??!!*##@
    Makes me MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    or should I just attribute those refering to S.A.D as probably
    just Married And Desperate.
    Happiness does not come with a wedding ring or a singles pad. Having been in a relationship/marriage for 39 years now, we have managed to be happy and content and have never recognized 2/14. Candy and flowers only symbolizes profits for the the store and florist not happiness for the couple.
    Celebrate your happiness daily and don't buy cards making Hallmark richer. By the way I like H.A.S.S.L.E.D! but you don't have to be single or married to be happy, just content with what you have.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
MySpace Tracker