Welcome to Turner Land. Enjoy your stay.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Girls just wanna have fun?

We celebrated Amandahanukkah last night in Federal Hill. Good times were had by most (I spilled half a glass of red wine all over my pants). I found an intriguing way to measure girliness as time passed with the posse of Amanda fans... Here's the hitlist:

1. Our "party favors." These were favors indeed in the form of a blinking plastic heart ring. We are beginning a tradition where anytime we all get together, at least one of us must be blinking. LESSON: I have abnormally large fingers = less girly...everyone but me could fit said ring on right hand ring finger. I was the pimp with the pinky ring. But trust me, I rocked it right.

2. Happy Hour at Nacho Mamas. The scene of the diss: "I didn't peg you as a picky eater." AND the discussion of "When a guy says to me, 'nice ass,' I know it's time to lose weight." LESSON: Girly girls like to point out "negative" things about others in order to make her feel more worthy. Don't worry M...Karma is making it's rounds.

3. Dinnertime discussion....and perhaps the scene of the largest girliness meter. How devasting is the news that Liz Clairborne has taken over Kate Spade? NOW, if you even know that these two things are actually companies, you are in fact female. LESSON: However, if this news is the central aspect of conversation for at least 25 minutes, and you continually believe that is the worst thing in the world during those 25 minutes, you are indeed a girly girl.

4. Dinnertime discussion...part 2. What is everyone wearing? Shirt colors, styles, and how similar everyone is is a key element to girliness. LESSON: If one girl is an "outlier," she must be plucked from the herd.

5. Dinnertime discussion...part 3. How can you tell if a Coach purse if fake? Should Target sell expensive jeans and/or Coach purses? This is how Darwin's natural selection process begins. LESSON: Since I prefer cost-effective accessories, I will never be a girly-girl. I don't care if it is real or fake...is it cute? pretty? large enough to hold my wallet, cell phone, and other important items needed on a regular basis?

6. Makeup reapplication. After drinks and dinner, it is appropriate to reapply lip products. Which lip product is used? This is the measure of girliness. LESSON: Lip gloss = understated flirtation/chic. Lip stick with mirror and lip gloss = umm, girly girl?

Note to self: Although I thought I was becoming more girly, it is VERY clear to me that I am still a tomboy in disguise. But at least I have a cool blinking heart ring. =) PS: club soda is AWESOME.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:51 PM , Blogger MAMA said...

    While it is true that club soda is awesome, your observations on being a girly girl, while funny, are a bit off the beat.
    Carrying oneself as a striking female full of femininity when appropriate is handy as long as you are your strong, intellegent, athletic female self the rest of the time. Being a girly girl is just surface sissy stuff that really doesn't add up to being a woman. You are able to blend in with whatever group you are with, while never deminishing your real self. And now you know about club soda! There is no stopping you now!:-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
MySpace Tracker